Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Red Pepper Tuesday goes to Art for the Cure



"Red Pepper Tuesday" Pastel Painting by Gail Watford


"Red Pepper Tuesday", my donation to 2012 Wyoming Art for the Cure, was painted last year during Mardi Gras.  Though I have never been to New Orleans during that time of year, I do remember quite a few trips my husband and I have taken to New Orleans in the spring. We have had many wonderful days sampling awesome Cajun food, riding the trolley and enjoying superb French Creole architecture!  The Fauvism movement in art was a strong influence in my use of color for this painting... reminding me of the atmosphere of the restaurants we visited. Maybe my painting will remind someone at the Art for the Cure auction of good times, food and fun... like it does me!  But most of all I want my contribution to help the cause of prevention of breast cancer and to honor those that have fought this disease. If you would like to take part in this event Friday, April 12th, check out the website at http://www.komenwyoming.org/get-involved/art-for-the-cure/. Tickets are $40... if you aren't able to attend, keep watch on the Wyoming Art for the Cure website. I have been told that people will be able to bid at this auction from home on their computer! 

3 comments:

Jeanie LeCompte said...

I see "Red Onions" and they are great!

Jeanie LeCompte said...

Red Onions?

Gail Watford said...

Hi Jeanie!!! Because at the time I did this painting, I was dreaming of the spicy Cajun cuisine, my title put emphasis on the one red pepper in the center of the dish of veggies. My thinking was the one little pepper would be more than enough to add some heat any meal but especially on Fat Tuesday!!! I'm so glad you enjoyed viewing and thinking about the meaning of my painting!