Saturday, September 22, 2012

It's been a while....


Paper made with textures from objects around the home

I never intended to go so long without posting but the last few months have been a challenge to think about art much less creating a painting.  On August 1st my husband went into the hospital for the first of two knee replacement surgeries.  Both of his knees had given him problems for many years.  After postponing the inevitable, it was time to begin the process of  repair.    For the most part my hubby has never been sick, I have always leaned on him, as he has been the one to protect and take care of me when sick.  Over the last couple of months,  much of the time I have felt inadequate, being an artist and not knowing or understanding medicine.  Never the less, my priority has been to be the best caregiver I could be. We have weathered the surgery, recovery and a blood clot.  Thank goodness, everything is now getting back to normal. He is recovering well, doing some of the things he wants to do like driving, so it is time for me to start thinking about getting back to my art.  As I said in the beginning, though,  it has been a slow process for me to switch gears.  The ideas don't seem to flow the way I want them to.....   I have been trying to push through these feelings of a lack of inspiration....  but it has not been easy!

Last week, an artist friend of mine, Win Ratz invited me to make paper with her as she was preparing for an upcoming workshop.  I had never made paper before and looked forward to a fun day experimenting with a new medium.  The morning working with Win was just the right kick my brain needed to get the wheels moving creatively.  She showed me how to use purchased, recycled paper materials as well as dried plants, a blender and a box with a screen lining to make beautiful art objects of paper.  Once the paper was set, yet not dry, we played with all kinds of choices of "junk store purchases and around the house objects" to create textures in the paper. Win also showed me the process of coloring the paper and layering colors before the paper sets up to dry. While the colored paper was still damp I used some pastel sticks to pump up areas with more color.   What a fun morning and just what I needed get my artist brain to working!!!

The lucky folks that have signed up for her papermaking workshop in Taos in October are in for a treat!  You can find some of Win's work on her web page or blog at, http://www.winratzart.com/ or at   http://www.winratzart.blogspot.com/.  Not only does she create art from her paper designs but she also creates beautiful watercolor paintings and enamel works of art.

The three images in this post are the works of art I made at Win's house.  Win thanks, for a fun morning and the encouragement of thinking in new ways to create art!  You have definitely inspired me to create more paper art!!!  My days are still erratic,  I am not fully back to where I want to be but I am moving in the right direction!                                                                                     

Paper made with texture from lace and embossed leather


Layers of colored paper with pastel on top

4 comments:

enLiven said...

so did you add pastel with the paper or paint the abstract fall scene? Lovely...

Unknown said...

Thanks Vanda, for enjoying my adventure with paper making!!! The first 3 layers of colors were light yellow, beige-brown and red-orange each premixed separately and layered on top of one another. The colors of gold, turquoise and red were added over the layered paper with pastel sticks while it was still wet.

Unknown said...

This looks like a lot of fun and something I may have to try someday. ^.^

Anonymous said...

wonderful post.Never knew this, regards for letting me know.